Isn’t it amazing that our USB flash drives can hold a live operating system? This has been really helpful and convenient to many of us who would need to install or reinstall their operating system on their laptops and computers. It just has gotten way easier for us, without having to install it using the traditional CD drives or DVD drives.
Windows 10 has been the common go-to operating system as it has stood the test of time. You might notice that most laptops or computers comes with the default operating system which is Windows. If you have a look at your office’s computers, many businesses as well has the Windows operating system installed on their computers. I myself, from my childhood up to now, am using the Windows operating system and I think it’s just easier to stick with what you are used to.
So, as what I have said earlier, USB flash drives can now hold a live operating system. And that is made possible with the help of a tool that allows us to create a bootable USB flash drive. Win32 Disk Imager is a simple program and an open source application that can write image files to a USB flash drive. Here are the things that I love about the Win32 Disk Imager:
- There is no need for you to install the program. Yes, you read that right. As unusual as it may seem, knowing that we usually install programs so we can start using them, all you need to do is unzip the program and run the file.
- Simple and straight forward. It has a very simple user interface thus allowing us to create a bootable USB flash drive without any confusion. It is pretty straight forward, as you just need to select the Windows 10 image file from your computer and the device which is the USB flash drive that we are going to use, and voila! You have your Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive.
- Win32 Disk Imager is a free program! You don’t even have to shell out money to be able to use this amazing program.
Steps To Create A Windows 10 Bootable Usb Flash Drive With Win32 Disk Imager
Step 1: Download Win32 Disk Imager
- For those who does not have the Win32 Disk Imager yet, you may copy and paste this link on your browser: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download
- Go ahead and click Download
- A pop-up message will appear regarding privacy. Just go ahead and click I ACCEPT
- Then it will start downloading Win32 Disk Imager
- Another pop-up message will appear asking you what you want to do with the file, just go ahead and click on RUN
- Then a pop-up message will appear again saying that the publisher could not be verified, are you sure that you want to run this software? Just go ahead and click RUN
- After a few moments, Win32 Disk Imager will be pulled up
Step 2: Download Windows 10 ISO file
- You can type in your browser: Download Windows 10 ISO disk image, and click on the first result shown which is from Microsoft,
- Click Download the tool now, which will start to download the Media Creation Tool that will help us create a Windows 10 ISO file
- Click on the file and accept the License Terms
- Then it will ask you what you want to do, just select Create Installation Media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC. Go ahead and click Next.
- Select the language, architecture and edition. I chose English for the language, Windows 10 for the edition, and 64 bit (x64) for the architecture since I have a 64 bit laptop. Then click Next.
- Then it will tell you to choose which media to use. Go ahead and select ISO file. Then you can go ahead and click Next.
- Then you can go ahead and decide the location to save the ISO file. Then go ahead and click Save.
- After which, the Media Creation Tool will start downloading the Windows 10 ISO file.
- Then click Finish.
To speed up the process, it is best to have a high-speed internet connection.
Step 3: Select Image File
Remember why I love Win32 Disk Imager? Because of it being simple and straight forward.
- So yeah, under the Image File, if you click on the blue folder icon.
- Then go ahead and browse for the Windows 10 ISO file that you just have created using the Media Creation Tool
- Select the file
Step 4: Plug your USB flash drive into your laptop or computer
This is pretty much self-explanatory.
Step 5: Select the Device
- Click on the Device drop-down list.
- Select the device
Just be sure that you have selected the correct device. It is always best to only have the USB flash drive plugged into your laptop or computer to avoid confusion. If you are not sure whether you have selected the correct device, you can check the name of your device by going to the File Explorer.
Step 6: Double check
- Make sure that you have selected the correct file for the Image File
- Make sure that you have selected the correct device
Step 7: Write
- Once you are done double checking everything, go ahead and click Write.
- A pop-up message will appear, select Yes and this should start writing the Windows 10 ISO file to your USB flash drive.
Step 8: Finish and Eject USB flash drive from your computer or laptop
Congratulations! You have just created a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive with Win32 Disk Imager. Once you have finished the process, do not forget to remove the USB flash drive safely from your laptop or computer. Now, it is very easy for you to install or re-install Windows 10 on your laptops and computers! Have a damaged installation or getting a new laptop or computer? This should not be a problem at all! You can go ahead and take care of it anywhere, anytime.